The William E. Beckwith House
Also known as the Homestead, this home contains Clifton's oldest remaining structure. Originally a three room log house, it was part of the 200 acres left by William Beckwith to his sixteen slaves, all of whom were freed in his will in 1863. The original portion contained a huge stone fireplace still visible today. Modified through the years its most illustrious moment in history was during the Civil War years of 1862-63 when it served for a short time as General Pope's headquarters.